Menopause is an exciting and sometimes challenging time in a woman’s life. A time of physical, emotional and spiritual change.
As movement specialists and/or clients, we can care for the menopausal body in ways that may help support these changes and some of the symptoms associated with it.
How can exercise help with menopause?
Over the last few years it has become apparent that menopausal women need a specific exercise program that includes
- Strength and weight bearing exercises training- which will help keep bone healthy and may prevent or even reversing osteoporosis.
- Cardiovascular workouts will help with any weight issues and also with keeping a certain level of balance in the endocrine system.
- Balance exercises are a must as the menopausal body changes structurally due to the loss of fat deposits and bone loss.
- Maintaining or even creating flexibility at this stage is important. Fascial release is also recommended to aid in keeping the body supple in order to adapt better to the changes that are taking place.
- Breathing and relaxation are a must for helping with stress, lymph drainage and resetting the para sympathetic nervous system. as with all changes, there may be some anxiety and stress involved in the process.